Earlier this year I helped my friend Samuel bring his used cell phone resell business online using Drupal Commerce. The site is still in maintenance mode while we finish the self-service features, but his staff currently uses it logged in from their various locations as their point of sale system. Knowing the ins and outs of Commerce, I didn't have any problems tailor making an eCommerce application for his business, but I did have one hiccup during deployment that I'd never seen before.
Back in September I had the privilege of attending a web development conference in my new hometown, Greenville, SC. The occasion was REST Fest, which was primarily a barcamp format gathering of REST API developers and thought leaders from around the world.
On two separate sites I've recently had to implement a rotating image banner that could optionally be linked to paths within the site or to external URLs. Originally I tried a (mostly) self-contained module that matched the feature set called Rotor with some success but really needed greater flexibility. Undaunted, I rebuilt the functionality using a custom content type, a few CCK fields, ImageCache, and Views with the Views Slideshow plugin.
I've always been a big fan of ASCII based games. If I sit down to toy with a project, more often than not I'm doing something ASCII. I was never a great artist, but I loved Roguelikes (ADOM being my favorite) and had a mind to write a multi-player Roguelike back in the day.