Calling all pre-beta testers
This is a quick call for help before I package up a beta release of Drupal Commerce. The last few weeks I've been working around the clock on blocking issues, dependency issues, Rules based pricing and tax (incl. VAT) support, and last minute database tweaks. My wife has been incredibly supportive of me thus far, but now I need help from my friends with a bit more technical acumen.
Here's the deal: for all intents and purposes, this code is beta ready. Database schema changes have mellowed out. The modules have solidified. The core feature set lets you start selling quickly. The Views and Rules integration provides for some fine standard interfaces and workflows. The last few weeks, pcambra has been our SimpleTest hero, and now he's working with recidive to flesh out the functional tests even further.
What it really needs is eyes. Your eyes. If you have a few spare moments, you could greatly help by testing an installation and ensuring there aren't any crazy bugs that I just don't see because of my development environment or selective blindness. These could take the form of installation bugs, odd default configurations in Views / Rules, typos, broken access control, and more. There are bound to be things I'm missing, and I really need your help to know what they are.
Here's how to get started very quickly:
- Download Drupal 7.
- Download into your sites/all/modules directory the latest dev versions of the following dependencies:
- Download into your sites/all/modules directory my Git dev version of Drupal Commerce (or just git clone git://github.com/rszrama/drupalcommerce.git).
- Download into your profiles directory my Commerce Dev installation profile and download into your sites/all/modules directory Admin Menu (a dependency of the installation profile).
- Now install Drupal 7 using the Commerce Dev installation profile and see what happens!
- If you're feeling adventurous, use the Standard installation profile and then try to enable the Commerce modules manually to make sure the standard install process works. (You'll have to adjust some permissions, enable the cart block, and build a product display node type from scratch - read more about that in the first issue of Drupal Watchdog. )
(Note: Getting these from CVS would be better to get their latest commits.)
Once it's all installed, cruise through the various admin interfaces, settings forms, and front end features and let me know what breaks. Note, I'm not looking for support requests, "How do I...?", or feature requests, "Needs flat rate shipping support." Rather, I want to know what, if anything, of the core feature set just doesn't work.™
One of the latest features to test will be to configure a tax rate for your country / state. Simply browse to admin/commerce/config/taxes and add the tax rate. If you made it a sales tax, it'll show up once you get to checkout. If you made it a VAT, it'll show up inclusive in product prices. Additionally, if you made it a VAT, you can edit products and enter their prices including VAT. Taxes work through the same Rules event as other product pricing rules, so you can try adding a discount rule and fiddle with its weight to see how it interplays with your tax rules.
Drupal Commerce comes with an example payment method module that lets you just put a name in on the checkout form to test payment. You can test additional payment methods if you have developer accounts for Authorize.Net, CyberSource, or PayPal.
Please report any bugs you can turn up (or +1 existing bugs) in our issue tracker. I'll also be hanging out in #drupalcommerce on irc.freenode.net if you're into IRC.
While you do this, I'll be running tests of my own, reviewing the names and descriptions of all our permissions, and ensuring the customer profile integration with Checkout and Order administration is up to snuff.
With any luck, we'll all be beta testers tomorrow.